Waiver Process For the 2018-2019 Academic Year - Currently Open
Waiver Process for the 2019-2020 Academic Year - Only open to Continuing students and Incoming PA students
Waivers will be accepted on the following dates for the 2019-2020 Policy Year
- Continuing Students from April 15 - June 15, 2019
- Incoming PA Students from April 15 - May 15, 2019
- Incoming 2019 - 2020 Students from June 1 - July 17, 2019 - Are not eligible to submit your waiver until after June 1, 2019
Maintaining health insurance coverage is mandatory for all full-time DMU students and all students MUST be covered by a domestic health insurance plan. All students are required to enroll in the DMU - Sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan unless an acceptable Waiver is provided in a timely manner. The acceptable coverage to waive the DMU - Sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan must have comprehensive coverage throughout the United States. Your plan must have a provider network for primary care, specialty, hospital and diagnostics care in Iowa or in states where students are designated for rotations. HMO plans only qualify for the state in which you are residing, in Iowa you must have an Iowa HMO.
- Parent's Employer Group plan
- Spouse's Employer Group plan
- Partner's Employer Group Plan
- Military/Veterans Benefits - Tricare
- Iowa Medicaid - Student must be a permanent resident in Iowa for the entire academic year and all rotations must be in Iowa for the entire academic year
- Other State Medicaid - Student must be a permanent resident of the state providing Medicaid and all rotations must be in the same state for the entire academic year
Individual health plans are acceptable by exception and will only be considered with a minimum of the following benefits:
- Maximum Out of Pocket Expense of no more than $6,600
- Deductible Maximum of $1,500 per Individual
- Unlimited Lifetime Benefits
- Unlimited Office Visits
- Wellness Benefit
- Comprehensive Prescription Plan (cannot be restricted to generic only)
- Inpatient and outpatient Mental Health Benefits
- If you have active domestic health insurance with benefits which meet the criteria above you may apply for waiver of enrollment in the DMU student health plan. You will need to have your current insurance ID card and information regarding your plan benefits to complete the process. Once you have submitted the required information you will receive an email verifying if your waiver meets the DMU requirements.
Full-Time Students on Out-of-State Clinical Rotations/Experiences
In addition to the requirements above, students attending clinical rotations/experiences outside of Iowa are required to have comprehensive health insurance coverage as stipulated by DMU's rotation site affiliation agreements. Students completing any out-of-state clinical rotations/experiences during an academic year are not eligible to waive with any state Medicaid coverage, including Iowa Medicaid,as it does not provide comprehensive coverage when you are rotating out of state. Your insurance coverage must also have national in-network provider coverage, which includes the states in which you may rotate. If you will be completing all clinical rotations/experiences in state, you may waive with Medicaid coverage from the State of Iowa. Students requesting to waive with Medicaid coverage must attach a copy of their rotation schedule for the entire academic year to their waiver submission by the required waiver deadline. If you are unable to provide a full academic year schedule you will not be eligible to waive with Medicaid coverage. No mid-year changes are allowed.
Please be aware that waivers will not be accepted after the posted deadline and any student who has not submitted a waiver request by the waiver deadline will be enrolled in and charged for the DMU student health plan.
By submitting your waiver request you are acknowledging that you have read the Waiver Requirements and agree to abide by the DMU Insurance Policy.